Community Philosophy Statement
We, the Benedictine Sisters of Florida of the Federation of Saint Scholastica, are a cenobitic community of vowed Christian women who seek God in an intensified life of prayer and service. Rooted in the Word of God, we center our life in the Eucharist, Liturgy of the Hours, and Lectio Divina . In response to a call to deepen our Baptismal commitment, we live our vows of Obedience, Stability, and Fidelity to the Monastic Way of Life in covenant with God and the members of our community. Because we are Christ to one another, we form bonds of mutual love and respect and call forth the best in one another. We freely and generously open our lives to others in hospitality and place ourselves in service to the larger community “that in all things God may be glorified.”
The Benedictine Sisters of Florida seek God in monastic community, prayer and ministry. Nourished by the Word of God and our life together, we respond with the compassion of Christ to feed the hungers of the people of God. We strive to help all people in our realm of influence to develop their fullest human and spiritual potential.
We share our human and material resources and our monastic values of community and liturgical worship through works of mercy, education, hospitality and stewardship.
Our Core Values
We share the following Benedictine values and resources in response to the needs of others:
- Community – We seek God in a balanced life of prayer and work, community and solitude and an integration of contemplative living and active ministry. We structure our life together so that all are held to be gifted by the Spirit, all are seen as equal and all are called to participation.
- Prayer – Eucharist and God’s Word nourish, transform and unite us to the wider church, giving meaning and purpose to our ministries and opening our doors and hearts in compassion and hospitality to others. Our steadfast commitment to Liturgy of the Hours and personal prayer creates community centered daily on the Word of God.
- Hospitality – We freely and generously open our lives to others in hospitality and place ourselves in service to the larger community. We discern the presence of the Creator in all creatures as we see Christ in our sisters, our guests, the stranger and the poor. Our prayer is that all experience God’s grace and a sense of His enduring peace.
- Stewardship – We commit our human and financial resources for good works, education and hospitality. We are compelled to cherish, nurture and preserve all that is touched by the Creator’s hand.
- Good Works – We are called to listen prayerfully and respond with the compassion of Christ to the physical, spiritual, intellectual, social and emotional hungers of the people of God.
- Peace and Justice – We strive for peace through our commitment to pursue justice for all.
We, the Benedictine Sisters of Florida, commit ourselves and our resources to respond with the compassion of Christ to the physical, spiritual, emotional, and social hungers of the people of God.